How to use AuthorConnect (as an author)
Our AuthorConnect service is in the very early stages of its existence. It is our hope that you will view it as a viable specialized social media platform, just for spiritual writers. If you see things that you think may not be working correctly, or if you see things you would like to see changed, please let us know! But also please remember this is a free and grassroots-developed platform, so there may be things we’re not able to change. Regardless, here are the primary things you can do:
- Create your profile so that other authors and selected industry professionals can find you and learn about your work
- Search the Author Members Directory to learn about other authors with whom you may want to connect (see search suggestions below)
- Contact authors in the Author Members Directory by sending them a private message (within the AuthorConnect website) or by using the email address found in their profile. Remember, solicitation of Author Members for the sale of services is prohibited. In order to send a private message to another author through AuthorConnect, just click on the Message button on that author’s profile. You can select from several emoticons to include in your message if you wish. You can send up to 5 messages total per day.
- Check to see you have received any messages by going to your Profile and clicking on the Messages button (mail icon).
- Get an email notification when you have received a message by clicking on “Account” in the main menu, then click on the Notifications button (mail icon) in the vertical menu. Then you can select whether or not you would like to received an email when someone sends you a private message.
- Wall posts – just as with other social networks, you can create posts on your wall or on another author’s wall. Just go to your Profile page (or that of another author) and click on the Activity button (pencil icon) to see your (their) wall. Then type in what you would like to post. You can include hyperlinks, hashtags, and photos in your post. If your hyperlink is to YouTube or Vimeo, your video will be embedded in the post. You can click on a hashtag to see all posts including that hashtag. You can also comment on any post. Any post or comment you make will also appear on the All-Members Wall.
- All-Members Wall – in order to see a running stream of posts from all of our Members, click on the “All-Members Wall” in the main menu. Feel free to post announcements about your work!
- Follow and connect with other authors in the Author Members Directory by clicking on the social media links in their profile.
In the future we may include additional functionality.
AuthorConnect has a powerful search function that allows you to search for other authors in the Directory. First go to the “Author Members” page and look for the Search box. Then type in the characteristic you are looking for. For instance, if you would like to find other authors who write fiction, simply type “fiction” into the search box. The result should include all Author Members who list that as one of their genres. Or if you live in North Carolina and would like to connect with other authors in your area, simply type “North Carolina” into the search box. The results should include all Author Members who live in North Carolina.
You can also search for areas of interest. So for instance, if you would like to find someone who is interested in finding a local writing partner, type “local writing partner”. Or if you would like to find a mentor, search for “Willing to serve as a mentor”.
Basically, you can search for any characteristic that is contained in the Author Profiles.
Q: Who runs AuthorConnect? A: AuthorConnect is owned and operated by Writing for Your Life.
Q: How can I edit my Profile? A: When you are on your profile page, on the right-hand side at the top near your photo you will see a Settings button (gear icon). Click on that then click on Edit Profile. When you are finished editing, don’t forget to click on Update Profile at the bottom of the page.
Q: Can I find out who the individual editors or agents are who participate in the program? A: Sorry, but no. We list the companies who have access to AuthorConnect here, but we cannot guarantee that they will look at your profile or contact you.
Q: What should I do if another author sends me a message, or posts something, that is inappropriate? A: Please contact us immediately at email@example.com
Q: What should I do if another author contacts me in order to sell something? A: Please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com
If you have suggestions regarding additional AuthorConnect features you would like to see, please let us know here.